In our Estates we usenatural cultivation and vine training method. It is an integrated method that uses viticulture practises of various organic, ecological and biological systems, supported by a wide research and experimental program aiming to the development of new methods that reduce the impact of chemical and mechanical interference on soils and vines.
- Process of the soil: we preserve the natural herbs that grow in our vineyards, to reduce the impact of the mechanical work and relative compression of the soil and for a better dynamic and competitive balance of the various herbaceous species.
- Fertilization: we use only natural fertilizers based on organic substances, no-treated. Furthermore we process a wide use of “sovescio” technique, consisting in putting under soil the Vicia Faba Equina at the end of the flowering, when, in the month of April, the main part of the azoth fixes in the plant , the bacterial activity of the soil and the low budding of the vine starts .
- Irrigation: we do not use any artificial irrigation of the vineyards; our cultivation aims to strengthen the roots system of the vine to reduce the water stress in particularly dry summer period.
- Control of the vine’s diseases: we do not use any chemical insecticides.We do control dangerous insects with an alternativemethod that consists in spreading specific pheromones of species harmful to the vines, especially the tignola (lobesia botrana) to avoid the mating on the area and the consequent deposition of the eggs at the origin of the fungine diseases. No use of fungicides: we use products with a natural basis: copper and sulphur, for oidio and peronospora, bacillus turingensis for tignola, natural antagonists of the fungine diseases and harmful insects.
- Ecological equilibrium: we avoid the intensive cultivation of vines, adopting the traditional methods of integration of the vineyard to wide area of forest, olive trees, acacia and canes. We breed wild species like hares that are a great witness of the ecological equilibrium. The hare does not reproduce in polluted environments. We also breed species of fish in lakes and vases that gather the water of drainage from the vineyards.We protect all other wild species that naturally live in our vineyards.
We try to favour the direct human intervention in all the cultivation phases: pruning, leafs control,selection of grapes and hand picking.
We host group of people with handicaps, part of programs of psycho-physic therapy through horticulture.
SELECTION OF THE VINES
We reimplant our new vineyards with vines obtained from “selezione massale”, directly reproduced with controlled methods from our historical vineyards. An official experimental research on autochthon vines is conducted togheter with the University of Pisa, and Arsia (regional Agency for the Agricultural Development) in the Poggio al Casone Estate.A unique experimental vineyard to nurse the selected clones is planted in the same estate.
- Production of autochthon vines and selection of varietals in extinction.
- Production of wines made from grapes cultivated with organic method, treated with the only protective tool of Propolis.
- Production of a wine that does not contain sulphites.
- Use of the technique with minimum impact on the structure and taste of the wines.
- Minimum use of selected yeast
- Minimum use of sulphur dioxide
- Minimum use of filtration
- Soft handling of the grape, must and wine.
- High technology during bottling with the use of nitrogen and vacuum.