Our Nobile on the prestigious Vintages
Filicheto Vino Nobile di Montepulciano in the collection of premium wines in the catalog of Canadian LCBO Monopoly.
On the prestigious catalog Vintages of Canadian LCBO Monopoly came out a specific article that talks about the birth and evolution, the typical area and the quality of the wine of Montepulciano, a Nobile who has heart. To our Castellani Nobile di Montepulciano DOCG 2010 was dedicated the back cover and a large article in the catalog that collects the greatest premium wines selected for Fall 2014.
Here are the tasting notes:
"Castellani Filicheto Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Docg 2010 Varietal: Sangiovese Blend. Style: Medium-bodied & Fruity. Floral with black fruit, cola, oak and earth notes on the nose with touches of tobacco, leather and dried herbs. Good replays with some additional cherry flavouring. Good structure and balance and a pleasing tannic grip. A great pairing for veal or pork. (VINTAGES panel, July 2014)" Featured on the back cover
Hereafter the original text of the article that draws a portrait of this type of wine:
Vintages, September 13, 2014 Pag 42-44
NOBILE AT HEART A stalwart for centuries, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano has re-established itself as Tuscany's third pillar.
The village of Montepulciano is a strikingly beautiful town whose architecture has remained unchanged since the 16th century. History is very much alive in this, the oldest and smallest of Tuscany’s three great regions for expressions of Sangiovese – known locally as Prugnolo Gentile – so it’s no surprise that in recent years Vino Nobile has re-established its place alongside Chianti and Brunello as the third pillar of Tuscan winemaking. Montepulciano sits to the east of Montalcino, and to the south of the Chianti Classico region; in terms of both style and price, Vino Nobile is positioned between the lighter-bodied Chianti and the fuller Brunello, with some Riservas approaching Brunello’s richness if not its ageability. As one would expect of a Sangiovese-based wine, Vino Nobile is a versatile food wine that provides a wonderful option when a meal calls for something with slightly more body than Chianti and more suppleness than Brunello.
BORNANDBRED Though created many generations ago, in recent years Vino Nobile has seen an aggressive, increased focus on reduced yields and improved quality.
When it was first made, Vino Nobile may have been named in reference to grapes sourced from vineyards belonging to local nobility (who used only the best grapes for their wines) or to identify the wine of choice for the privileged classes. Fast-forward several centuries to 1966, when Montepulciano was granted DOC status, and then to 1980, when it was elevated to DOCG – one of the first four regions in Italy to earn this designation.
Regulations stipulate that Sangiovese must comprise at least 70% of the wine, though many premium examples are now made solely from Sangiovese; the remaining 30% can contain authorized Tuscan varietals such as Canaiolo, Mammolo and Trebbiano. The wines must be aged for two years prior to selling, or three years for wines designated as Riserva. (Chianti requires seven months; Classico, 10 months; and two years for Classico Riserva.) Finally, vinification and ageing must take place within the region of Montepulciano.